Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Memorable Traditions



My mom probably struggled in a lot of ways to put on a Thanksgiving feast every year for our family. Money was tight when I was a youngster. Yet she managed to produce a big, memorable meal for all of us Year after year all the favorites were on the table. I don’t remember others bringing food. Seems like she took care of it all herself.

All the regular Thanksgiving fare of course. But I remember celery stuffed with cream cheese, pineapple and chopped walnuts. Spiced apple rings. Pickles. Two or three different pies. I remember the dining room table being added on to and that it stretched into the living room. I think both adults and children all sat at the big table. And I remember my brother serving up potatoes to all the kids and accidently plopping a glob on one of his son’s head!

You are probably remembering your Thanksgiving memories right about now as well. And I’ll bet none of those memories include how much work and worry your mom (or grandma) went through to pull it off. Those same work and worries you may experience now that you are doing the hosting.

So I guess I just want to say – persevere. Keep doing those traditional things. Keep creating opportunities for memories… memories you may not even realize are being made. Because the next generation is coming along, following right on our heels. Don’t be afraid to pick up those old memorable traditions. Even when loved ones have passed. Keep them alive in all our memories with their favorite dish or custom. Bring all the saints, past and present, together on this special day.

Thanks, mom, for all the work and worry you went through to hold the celebration of family and thankfulness together in our minds. I cherish the memories you made for me.

Now pass the stuffed celery!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing me back! Grandma's dinners at Thanksgiving and Christmas were amazing.

    ReplyDelete