Thursday, November 21, 2013

Getting ready for a good time!



Holiday season is here! Lots to do in the coming weeks. Are you looking forward with happy excitement and joy-filled anticipation? Or are worries and fears about how things will turn out dominating all your thoughts?

Whether it's a dinner or a party or a performance, now is the time to think and process how to appropriately handle life’s bumps and bruises. First, let your mind wander and imagine how the event might play out. As you do a “walk-through” of your upcoming event, make a list of every little thing that makes you anxious. All the what-ifs. And now, in the stillness of this moment, take them one by one, and consider how you would really like to respond, if you had time and a clear head (and right now, you do!) Write these down as well, if you like. It may help you remember them. Got through that list of worries? Now breathe. And pray that you will respond with forethought and not knee-jerk emotions. Need an example? Okay, here goes:

I have the kids at church decorating Christmas cookies this Sunday. The cookies will be a gift for our homebound and those over 80 years old. What worries come to mind:
·        They will dump piles of sprinkles in the middle of the cookie vs. “decorate”
·        My expectations of what they can do will be too high
·        I might not have enough adult helpers
·        People may be upset to see the kids licking their fingers and still handling cookies (wasn’t that part of the fun growing up?)
·        Maybe I’ll seem too domineering or mean trying to get kids to do a better job and someone will let me know that and my feelings will get hurt, and that will ruin the fun for everyone

Okay… breathe…pray. Now think of a good way to handle these worries:
·        I can make up a few simple samples for them to see
·        I can teach by explaining in a few simple steps what to do
·        I can demonstrate how to sprinkle gently with a spoon
·        I can realize that kids are kids and lots of people think what they do is just adorable
·        There’s usually adults around at Sunday School time; willing to help
·        I will pray and breathe and relax and I will anticipate an enjoyable time for all with an adorable, darling array of childlike decorated cookies to delight our seniors

I feel better already! I think I’ll save this list and see how things turn out on Sunday. I know God hears my prayers and that even the smallest little concerns matter to Him. Thank You, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment