Thursday, November 7, 2013

Running ahead of God

(Note: changed the title to this post because " God's ways are not my ways" sounded like I didn't want to follow God. Truth is, His ways are always big, better, best!)

I woke up the other morning with this really great idea! I mulled it over in my mind – different facets of this enticing project. I dreamed. Planned. Envisioned. Imagined. I got excited! What to do first? Where do I start? Then it came to me… I settled down to pray.

I waited for the Lord.

The next morning the idea was there again. I couldn’t wait to get to my little “prayer corner” and see what God might have to say. And BAM! That morning’s devotion was a direct hit of confirmation! So I excitedly took that as a “GO!” and started more planning and more detailing until… until I got myself overwhelmed and worn. So I settled down to pray and…

I waited for the Lord.

The third morning I approached my “prayer corner” a little more cautiously, no, humbly. And once again, a morning devotion addressed the stumbling block issues on my heart. But the message still seemed to be, “Go.” Later that same day, as I was having coffee with a half dozen good folks from church, the discussion we were having somehow turned to this very topic of mine and before you knew it, “nervous-nelly, introverted” me – was on a soap box about this idea I’ve had! I couldn’t believe the passion coming from my mouth… Comments from the group were supportive, with additional thoughts and ideas as well as some constructive criticism mixed in. So off I went again, wanting to plan it all out in detail. And wanting everyone to get on board my train. I wanted it to be my baby, my vision… but why?

We weren’t created to envision alone. To make others do solely what we want. We were meant to work together, live together, create together, put pieces together – together! So, here I am, settling down to pray again and…

I wait for the Lord.

“Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed. – Pr. 16:3

1 comment: