Monday, November 25, 2013

Getting Ready for a good time, Part 2




I know you’re wondering… how did my cookie decorating go on Sunday, right? Well, I did follow through on my plans. I made up some samples; I explained a few basics; I had the kids all use some hand sanitizer before handling the cookies; I believed there would be adults to help; I stayed busy and let the kids be kids.

A wonderful time was had by all. The kids, big and small (!) enjoyed the wide variety of toppings. No one had one bad word to say… the cookies looked very colorful and festive! Plenty of adults as helping hands. I had to make a couple reminders about taking it easy on the sprinkles. But over all, I let the kids be kids.

Did God truly hear my prayers of concern? Or were my worries unnecessary and for naught in the first place? I was recently reminded that we can worry, because we are relying on our own wisdom or strength, or we can forge ahead leaning into God all the way. It doesn’t mean not preparing at all. You’ll remember I had made plans to have samples, I pulled together a few ground rules to decorating, and I chose to believe in advance that God would guide and direct me in all my ways. Believing and trusting in God does not mean doing nothing. It does not mean sitting there with your hands folded and waiting for God to show up and do it all at the last minute. It means counting on His guidance from beginning to end. It means seeking Him in the preparations as well as the execution.

In this season of Advent, let’s seek Him now in the preparations. Don’t forge ahead in your own wisdom and strength and hope to God the Christmas spirit falls upon you in the final hours. Take time now to pray about all the thinking and planning; lean into Him as you ponder and image... the glorious big event of Christmas drawing near.

No comments:

Post a Comment