Monday, May 4, 2015

Delightful service

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men ... (Colossians 3:23)

I'm coming down from the mountaintop experience of serving on yet another Pilgrimage (spiritual renewal / retreat) weekend. Oh, my God - in the fullest, most reverent sense...

What a pleasure, what a joy it has been to be a part of it all; to open myself up to God's will, God's equipping, God's doing - through me.

I wrestle. I wrestle with the concepts of being humble and of gaining such pleasure and joy out of doing what God has empowered me to do in service to Him. While many callings on our hearts are for seemingly ignoble purposes, there are those moments when He pulls us up and over our fears and doubts and thrusts us into this higher plane of reliance on Him. And the experience is breathtaking. "God? You really did that? Through me?" But I loved it! I loved it! Can such excitement and delight (and yes, passion) be a part of serving Him ? Isn't that bordering on pridefulness?

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)

Maybe pridefulness has to do with staying there and relishing that moment. I'm still thinking ...            And we are called to continually love and serve the Lord. Daily live and love and work for Him. As He leads and directs.

Much of our everyday life may seem to be ignoble; not so spectacular at all. Not so in God's eyes. Whatever you do has value and purpose in God's eyes. Whether its sheets freshly washed and smoothed out on the bed, or weeds pulled from around tender new shoots in the garden - may your hearts be lifted up to the Lord. Serving the Lord doesn't have to be a challenge. Musicians love, love, love leading us in praise and worship. Speakers too, can present ideas with such zeal and passion. Can't we also capture such emotion in the whatever's we do? Working as unto the Lord? I think we can ...

May it be your focus, your sole intent - to honor Him. To gift Him in humble service - in the whatever ... and may you experience a smile of joy inside your soul as you bring delight to Him. (Yes, you do)

No comments:

Post a Comment