Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Not exactly

I want to know Christ and the power that raised Him from the dead. (Philippians 3:10)

I'll be meeting with my knitting group on Wednesday night. I like knitting. I really do. Something peaceful and relaxing about knitting a row, purling a row. But that's about the extent of my skill level. I am extremely challenged by more complicated patterns or by actually finishing and sewing projects together. Because I want it to come out perfect. I want it to look perfectly, amazingly beautiful with no flaws or mistakes. So I prefer to stick with what I know. I give a feeble attempt at learning and growing, only to end up throwing the piece in a plastic tub in the back room. Forever forgotten.

How many of us are like that in everyday life? It may be trying a new recipe or gardening for the first time or hosting a gathering, speaking up at a meeting, or you fill in the blank. You know what you shy away from. Anything that may put you in the spotlight  - how many of us "duck" because we know we can't do it perfectly and someone is sure to notice and well, you know ... How many times do you stick with what you know for fear of facing several failed attempts before growth is seen?

I was recently in a little drama and I have memorized my lines word for word. My counterpart on the other hand, has "memorized" the basic concept of each set, and his lines flow from his heart in the moment, right there on stage. I become greatly distressed if I can't perform exactly as written. But his performance is well received. So why do I (why do you?) stress so when things are not exact?

God works in mysterious ways. God is always at work. There is goodness and mercy and blessings flowing wildly when God is present. And God is everywhere. Despite flawed performance, or maybe because of them, God is made more visible in the blessing and goodness He brings to the outcome.

Was your performance a little less than perfect? In your human mind, can you see where some human tweaking could be done? What about the overall picture? What about the view from God's place? Do you think He'd deliver the same critique? Or is He pleased with hearts that attempt? Does He smile at the opportunity to grow you in deeper, more enriching ways - and draw you closer into relationship of trust and love with Him? In our decision to perfect every little detail, are we leaving out any room for God to act in His own amazing ways? You know how awesome it is to see and/or experience that resurrection power of His. Making the impossible turn out just right.

May we all learn to relax and laugh at ourselves a little more. To be more playful in attitude toward something new and the learning process. Let us be like little children around Jesus as we trust in Him with the journey as well as the outcome. And let the glory be His and His alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment