Saturday, December 27, 2014

Honeymoon: Revisited

… when I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go … (Song of Songs 3:4)

I am getting ready to celebrate a wedding anniversary. I think back to the beginning. When a simple call from him during his lunch hour made my day. The promise of an easy-going, Sunday afternoon stroll down a wooded trail was something to look forward to. When sitting on the couch with his arm around my shoulders while we watched a sitcom rerun felt awesome. Some of you may remember “back in the day” when cars had bench seats and you could sit in the middle, right up close to him, as you traveled somewhere together. Holding hands. Simply going to the store – brought delight in the early days. (I encourage you to hold hands the next time you two go away in the car together. Look at each other and smile. It will feel wonderful!)

A passage in the book of Proverbs caught my attention this morning which ties in with this remembering of mine (Proverbs 8:22-30). Look it up and see what you think. I visualize Wisdom following God around while He creates one thing after another “in the beginning”. Then it says: I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in His presence (v. 30).

It made me think about my beginnings in my relationship with Jesus. Maybe not the first moment I gave my life to Him, but those breathtaking spiritual moments that followed. Like a sunrise where it appears to have a beam or pillar running straight down from the sun to the horizon. Or the first time I read: I have called you by name, you are Mine (Isaiah 43:1). Scribbling sermon notes as fast as I can because something really clicked. Scripture leaping off the page – pertaining exactly to a current situation. A moving candlelight service. Belting out a favorite Christian song along with the radio and feeling it deeply. Do you remember those days? Do you remember the thirst and how every little thing was truly wonderful in a personal way? Those honeymoon days …

A good friend has reminded me time and time again to keep “date night” alive and with good reason.

Be warned from Revelation 2:4: You have forsaken the love you had at first.


Go back. Rekindle. Remember the words found in Song of Songs. Good words for your spousal relationship; good words for your relationship with Jesus as well. Hold tight and do not let Him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment