Monday, January 5, 2015

Sinned ... now what?



I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of His Name (1 John 2:12).

Whether someone points it out to me or I realize on my own through some scripture reading, I don’t want to know that I have somehow sinned. My first response is become defensive, justifying my behavior. Remorse should be reserved for some big sin, right? Surely I can reason and excuse my impulsive or thoughtless actions. But eventually the truth of the matter comes to light in my heart – I sinned.

But I am thankful for any time I am made aware that I stepped outside God’s will. I am thankful I am led by His Spirit to be remorseful. Thankful I can confess my sin to God and He understands. And thankful I can say I’m sorry to those I have hurt, and to God. I can be forgiven. By others. By myself. By God.

Jesus washes my sins away. Even if the “other” does not forgive, for the One Who truly matters, the sin is remembered no more.

We sin. But that is not the end of the story. Thanks be to God for the indescribable gift – Jesus and His cleansing blood. For recognizing sin, being sorrowful about it, and receiving the forgiveness God provides – is pleasing to the Lord. You will never know powerful wonderfulness of forgiveness until you surrender to it. Forgive yourself and others today.

No comments:

Post a Comment