Monday, January 12, 2015

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times


 
 
 

It's like this: when I was a child I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does. But when I became a man my thoughts grew far beyond those of my childhood, and now I have put away the childish things (1 Corinthians 13:11).

I've told you a thousand times. Sure sounds like a parent. Or a childcare provider. I had this thought running through my mind last Friday when at was at work caring for two-year-olds. Seems like I am forever repeating myself: No running! No throwing things! No grabbing things out of others hands! By the end of the day, by the end of the week ... surely they should understand it by now! And these kids have been going to this daycare longer than I have. Surely they should understand the consequences of their choice to either forget or defy.

So this morning, when I was reading my morning devotional, it seemed as though the message has been the same for several days. Trust in the Lord (Proverbs 3:5). Believe in Him (John 1:7). His presence (Matthew 28:20). His plan (Jeremiah 29:11). Don't worry (Matthew 6:25). Pray (1 Thessalonians 5:17). His hand is on the future. When you read from the gospels, do you feel the same way? I've heard and read these miracles of Jesus a thousand times! Why do I need to read them again?

Because in many ways, in the ways of God, we are all like infants. So much to learn and incorporate into daily living. And some lessons are just harder to grasp. Will I give up on my little two-year-olds? Goodness, no! It will come. In time, after much repetition and some maturity, they will begin to understand and comply. The day will come soon enough when their childish behaviors will be exchanged for more mature ones. They will move on to the next set of lessons to be learned. The same can be said for us. In God's eyes, you too, are learning and growing, understanding and applying - the word of God - to your daily living. Don't give up. You are a work in progress.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment