Monday, January 19, 2015

Make it all better!

 
When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, He asked him, “Do you want to get well?” (John 5:6)


I've got a doctor's appointment coming up next week. Just the annual physical kind. But last year, she told me my "numbers" were climbing up and I really needed to start committing to a better diet and exercise routine. So month after month I looked at, reviewed, and considered the various diet and exercise programs available. And thought about what would "work for me". Because, after all, if I can't be comfortable doing it ... how will I ever be able to stick to it? I wanted to find that perfect balance between doing what I want and doing what they want. As you can imagine, my picking and choosing bits and pieces of a plan did not generate much success.

There is a plan that works. And if you want the outcome, you need to commit to the plan. And I'm not talking solely about diet and exercise. Look at the man in the story from the verse above. He's an invalid who can't seem to make it down to the healing waters "because someone else always gets there ahead of me. I have no one to help me (v.7)." I'm picturing Jesus really asking him, "Do you want to get well, and walk, and get a job, and be responsible for your life? Or is it just easier and lay there and wait for others to do things for you?

Cold? Harsh? Hear me out. How many of us want change - in our bodies, in our families, in our churches - but we don't want to do what's required? We can't expect change if we don't want to DO change.

The good news in this man's story is that Jesus heals him - and he doesn't even know who Jesus is and so does not express any faith in Jesus having the power to heal. Jesus heals in the midst of this man's lack of faith. How amazing is that?

But Jesus' healing comes with a warning: Stop sinning! (v.14) Stop the old habits. Stop the old attitude. If you want to be well, there is a way. You may not need a mountain of faith, but you do need Jesus. He has the power.


No comments:

Post a Comment