Friday, December 5, 2014

The work of joy



These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:11)

I woke up early again this morning. I have a lot of social events coming up. Lots and planning and organizing going on. So when I wake up early, my mind tends to run on overdrive wondering about all the little details. You know, like if you are planning enough food or should you get more. I wouldn’t call it worrying exactly. There can be so much work involved in hosting, right?  But after tumbling through a half hour of what-ifs, I decided I really need to change my focus.

Work. Effort. Time. Thought. I can choose to focus on all the energy involved in making something happen. Or I can choose to think about all the fun and joy that will be brought about because I chose to make something happen.

Think about your shopping in the busy stores, the traffic, the hordes of people, loud music – just to buy a Christmas gift. Ugh. But when I think about landing that perfect gift - that’s going to bring so much happiness and delight to the receiver. The one you can’t wait to give and see the expression on their face. Well, it just seems so worth it, a small price to pay.

The same can be said about preparing for visitors and “company over”. We can think of it as burdensome work. Or we can see it as gifting others with a special time.

Yes, this season can seem to be hectic, but only if you choose to view it that way. Realize what a giver you are by expending the time and energy. Embrace the joy you are bringing to others lives. Enjoy this season of loving and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment