Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My kind of joy



My kind of joy

… and no one can take your joy from you. – John 16:22

Some people get excited and energized by being in large groups, all busy talking and doing at the same time. They love gatherings and big plans. It fills their hearts with joy to spend time with others. Lots of laughing and catcalls from across the room. Dishes clanking. Busy little ones running underfoot. High energy music in the background. They are really celebrating life to the fullest in the moment!

I guess you can tell by the way I tried to describe that busy group that I am not one of them. No. I enjoy a certain amount of solitude. Quiet. Down time. Gentle sounds. Stillness. Peaked awareness of what I see and hear. No need to be entertaining or engaging. I just sit and I just am.

The first group finds their real joy in being a part of something larger. The second group finds true joy in reflective absorption.

Both are God honoring. So do not let yourself be harassed this Christmas season into one or the other. God’s Spirit is the Author of what brings each one of us joy. So while it is important to get out and celebrate with family and friends, be true to yourself and experience the joy God meant for you. And there will be lots of calls out for you too, busy people, so slow down and be still before the Lord. Make sure you do make time for that. Then get back to all that makes you happy during this holiday season.

And don’t let anyone take your kind of joy away.

No comments:

Post a Comment