Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Love Him, Need Him Everyday




“When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. But the more they were called, the more they went away from me. They sacrificed to the Baals and they burned incense to images. It was I Who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I Who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them. – Hosea 11:1-4

On a beautiful, sunshiny day, I fear I don’t need God. Oh, I acknowledge Him as good and wonderful and masterful in the glorious sights I see on a summer day. I am certainly thankful for His blessing and His greatness I see and appreciate. But on a beautiful day, when things are running smoothly – do I need Him?

Put me in a challenging situation, or a boring, gray day … do I need God then? Well, sometimes, truth be told, I think there are some things I can handle myself. Don’t bother God with little disturbances. Save His almighty power for something really important. Gloomy days, stressful days, trying days – I should be able to figure this out for myself and “fix it”. Contemplating this scenario, I fear I don’t need God either.

So is it any wonder big, life-threatening changes come along. Because we are always and forever supposed to be relying on God. He is to be the Sustainer and Provider of our life. Our Strength and our Joy.  Instead of scrambling around trying everything you can think of to “fix” a problem, how about if you just simply choose God? How will you ever get to know God and be amazed by Him if you’re handling everyday things yourself? We were created to have an ongoing relationship with God. For better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. He promises to take care. He desires to be a part of everything that’s going on. He wants us to rely on Him, connect with Him, be at peace because of Him and Who He is. This is the life He has planned for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment