Monday, July 21, 2014

Rest ... anywhere




“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” – Mark 6:31

We are back from our week’s retreat to Tennessee. Every morning I got up early (yes, early, even on vacation) and sat out on this big porch with my cup of hot tea, my bible, and a tablet. The mornings dawned sunny and bright most days, and sometimes there was a gentle rain falling. I would read my bible and be drawn into this special time with our God. Amazing songs would pop into my head about the beauty and the wonders of God’s created world. I felt transported. The air was fresh and clean. The view was lush and green and undisturbed. I would read and journal my meandering thoughts. It is a precious thing to sit with God unhurried. Nothing else I had to do. Nothing I had to hurry up and get started. I lingered with God. We were there – in the silence. No agenda. No priorities. As thoughts came up, we considered them together. I sensed His words of assurance. His guidance about things I think about. Thoughts about how He likes things handled – which filled me not with guilt, but with possibility. It was a beautiful thing. I didn’t want it to end – my beginning the day like that.

So I resolve to find that beauty in my own little piece of the world. My yard. There is a place to sit. There is greenery and blue skies and puffy white clouds. I have my bible and my tablet. There is nothing to stop me from spending time with Him.

Whether it’s morning or evening, I wonder if you’ll find a spot you find wonderful and take book and tablet in hand. And see where God takes you. He calls us all to rest. What are you allowing to get in the way of this precious gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment