Thursday, July 3, 2014

Love the one you're with

For where two or three gather in My Name, there am I with them. – Matthew 18:20

Ever go to a meeting, Sunday morning church, a bible study or “a something” and only a handful of people show up? And of the handful, only two read the material and are ready for discussion? If you’re the one who has done all the prep work to lead the group, that can sure be disappointing. You feel like cancelling … you feel like cutting it short … you feel like, “Why bother?”

I was taking another afternoon walk all alone today. I was thinking about all the people I miss being with. Either distance or work schedules keep us apart. I’m trudging through town and down the road, trying to enjoy the beautiful summer day. But like the group leader, I’m kinda bummed. There should be more people here enjoying this.

But I keep walking and listening to my MP3 player and it’s rocking out and I stepping right along to the music. Then suddenly, a very peaceful, gentle, almost whispery song begins. It’s about how beautiful Jesus is. It’s a favorite of mine and it touches my soul. And I realize that in bemoaning all who aren’t here, I’m overlooking the One Who is.

It made me think of all the times I’ve had to lead a meeting or a group discussion, or have been at a worship service where the attendance was low. I should have given my all to the one(s) there. The ones showing interest. The two or three gathered with me and not focus on the ones missing out.

I’ve learned a new lesson. To love the ones you’re with. Give my all. Whether it’s a meeting, a bible study … or just a walk with You, Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment