Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Church - Why I Go

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teachings and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. – Acts 2:42
All the believers were together … :44

I like to think of myself as middle-aged. I’m not hip, young, cool. Not progressive. But heading toward that time in life when some are settling in to a new norm that has less energy than it once did and are of an age where they have done a lot of what they had intended. I’m talking about church involvement here. The older generation has “served” its time in Sunday School and outreach programs … all the “do-do-doings” in the church. Many still have a heart for it – just running out of energy. But you can find them coming regularly, praying for people, worrying, wondering, caring about folks. And desiring to connect with the living God. The young people, the younger generation, well, …where are they? I’ve heard they have their reasons. You’ve heard them too.

But I’m going to stand up for the church, despite all its hypocrisy and people problems.

I wasn’t raised in the church but I’ve liked going to Sunday morning worship for many years of my adult life. I like the fact that it feels different than any other place I go. I like that the music is different, sometimes heavenly, sometimes haunting. Their words ... their words, ring so true and are so comforting! I like the specialness of lighting candles up front, and ringing bells to start the service. I like having a confession prayer all printed out for me, because Lord knows, I don’t like praying a confession on my own! I like to just sit and hear someone tell me about God. I like praying for others and praying in unison (there is an unmatched beauty in its rhythm). And I like considering the money God has sent my way, and how I can support something for His cause by giving a portion back. I like to look around and see familiar faces and share a wave and a smile across the room. It all has a “separateness” from my other days and places. A place to rest from the world and its pressures. I like spending time with people who love God too. I like sharing in this different routine with them.  I think I need this separateness. I need to believe there is something else besides this world. I welcome a glimpse of God and His heaven when I gather with other believers.

I hear and understand why the younger generation is not wanting to go to church. I know churches are full of stumbling, fumbling humans trying to make sense of (and express) the nature of Christ. But they sometimes get it right too. There is a sense of belonging together and working together and loving and caring and laughing together. Maybe not so different from the real world after all. Except that as fellow believers, we can trust in a higher power to make things right. Time when we can join together and realize we don’t have to have all the answers or get it all right on our own. There is Someone to praise for the beauty of nature. There is Someone Who can hear our weakest cry. There is Someone Who performs miracle upon miracle. And there is a place where you can share all of that … church. Where the real focus should be all about loving God … and neighbor.

I sometimes struggle with finding the right words to express my prayer concerns. My singing along with others is much better than me singing alone – trust me on that one! And the beauty of stained glass windows, candles, huge crosses, banners … to turn my heart toward God.  Then there’s just a supernatural sensing / believing that God is there …

We were created to bring pleasure to God. And He is pleased and honored and delighted when we come together to worship Him. So come. And worship Him.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 AM EDT

    This is so beautiful, Rich Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:11 AM EDT

    I read this at a time of need. Thanks, Gayle D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God knows how to get our attention ... never think for a moment that He is not hovering in loving care over you.

    ReplyDelete