Friday, July 25, 2014

All Grown Up?



Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. – Psalm 51:10

Seems like God has His work cut out for Him – renewing a right spirit within me. There are times when I think I’m doing a pretty good job of being Christian. I’m being nice, being helpful, going to church on Sunday morning. Sometimes I think I’m good enough … right where I should be. I mean I know I’m not perfect, so where I am is good enough, right? I don’t need to learn more, or try more, or change more. I am what I am.

It sure sounds easier and more comfortable to think no more work has to be done. I mean, we’ve been having to grow and change all our lives. There was the school years, and landing a decent job years, then marriage and a house and babies and … and some of us are just tired of the challenges and changes.

Somewhere, we have lost the excitement and anticipation of learning and growing. Remember the lightbulb of understanding going off when you discovered something new at school? Or challenging yourself with something new at work and meeting that challenge and succeeding in what seemed impossible? Everything from reading new and different resources to going to new places and seeing new things on vacations, oh my yes! As your eyes were opened, your mind also found new ways to enjoy life, embrace life, praise this life.

Lord, please keep working on me. Every morning create a clean heart in me and renew a right spirit that I might truly live life to the fullest. Let me not be settled, satisfied, content to think I’ve seen and heard and learned enough already. Keep challenging me to explore and wonder, look and see, consider all possibilities. And to seek You in all these things. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment