Monday, April 1, 2013

Lord, I have some questions


 

Lord, I pray for the many - especially on my growing prayer and concern list. I pray for words of hope, encouragement, good counsel, and strength that comes from You alone. All this devastating news all around us. It sure can be saddening to stop and care about it all.

Although our eyes do not see you, guide our faith into sensing You in the here and now. In the right here and right now. O Lord, transport us to a safe place where fear and pain don’t have the upper hand. Some just found out there is a cancer. Some are going through draining treatments and therapy. Broken bones. Broken hearts. Back pain. Leg pain. Shoulder pain. Joblessness. Heart problems. Eye problems. Emotional overeating. You say to live in the present. Where are you, God? Where are Your words of hope and comfort?

Maybe we all need to slow down. Maybe we all need to talk to God a little more. Why so many burdens - especially when we are praying? What if this is it? What if it’s gonna be this way for a long time? Where does the light for today come from? How do some persevere and overcome while others are challenged by problems and lie in misery day after day? What if our bodies are aging or damaged and there will always - from now on, in this life - be an infirmary? What if hope for complete recovery on this side of heaven is in vain? Who am I then? Will daily pain describe me? Do we have too high of expectations of what good life should look like? What is a successful life really – but to walk humbly with our God. What if we spent time every day in prayer emptying ourselves of every burden? What if we spent a few moments here and there trying not to pray anything but just ask God to send a message? What if we spent a few minutes here and there appreciating the beauty of creation and the goodness we do have? What if instead of creating a “good Christian should do” to-do list … we, as the occasion to help someone comes along, we help as God guides and supplies in that moment? What if this described a successful life? Could you live a life like that today despite your pain, your limitations, your health issues, your fears, your anger?

My prayer list of concerns is long and growing. Which tells me a lot of people are being made to slow down and reconsider what is really important.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul. (Ps. 23:1-2) My soul. My soul is what is important. My spirit.  He tends to the condition of the spirit inside us.

A lot of people are struggling through this world of the tangible. But there is another place to focus.

Lord, we believe you are here, present. Although our eyes do not see you, our faith senses you.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Heb. 11:1)

Those of us who are older know we aren’t ever going to back that 20 year old body. Those who have suffered horrific battles through treatments may be some better than they were, but not “100%”.

What is going to define us now, now that our bodies are a little weaker, or finances a little smaller, or relationships have fallen apart and drifted? Do these losses in life take the grandstand and define us now or is there something more to us, more in us?

In this earthly journey, every body, everybody, is having ups and downs. But do not be discouraged and do not be afraid. Loosen up on such high expectations, especially if you’re not feeling well (physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, spiritually). Give yourself a break.  You don’t have to be happy-go-lucky every day. And you don’t have to be down in the mouth everyday. Do the best you can with every day as it comes. And lean into God every day. That, my friend, is successful living.


  • I have been praying for you.
  • I am with you all the way.
  • Believe in the goodness of God.

 

2 comments:

  1. You touch me in that special place today - you may never know how timely your lessons for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is always working in your life like that...

      Delete