Thursday, March 28, 2013

And I wept...

Sometimes… crying just makes us feel better by providing some sort of release for a built-up energy inside. And sometimes tears just burst out and seem to have no end.

My beloved mom seemed like a pretty emotionally strong person. As a kid, I didn’t see her cry often. But at her mom’s funeral, she wept aloud and she wept hard – I don’t think anything broke my heart more. That is, until my own mom died. Then I never wept so uncontrollably in my whole life. Such overwhelming sadness! Such personal loss…

Why am I bringing up such dark, painful memories now? Especially when beautiful spring weather and Easter Sunday are right around the corner…

Because today is Maundy Thursday. All these gray Lenten days are culminating in a truth that my heart can hardly bear:

Christ Jesus died… for me.

I look back over my life and realize how lost, lost… lost…. And far from God I was. No promise of a beautiful life in heaven on my own merit. No hope at all. Separated from the God of all possibilities…

There’s a passage in Revelations, chapter 5, where, after describing this incredible, beyond human imagination scene unfolding before his eyes, John then hears a booming voice shout:

“Who is worthy to break the seal and open the scroll?” (Rev. 5:2)

John’s response? Read the first line of verse 4:
I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside.

And I ask you to pause there for a moment. Conjure up a memory of a time when you wept and wept because it felt like there was no hope in overcoming some tremendous,  heartbreaking, emotional pain you were experiencing. And then ponder this deep truth:

Christ Jesus died… for you.
(read each word slowly)

And now – the good news. Continue reading verse 4:
Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able…

He is able…


·        Tears may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning
        ·        And He will wipe away every tear from your eyes
        ·        I love you! All  is forgiven

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! As often is the case, I am unsure about writing certain things - but when it feels like God has His mind made up, it gets posted!

    ReplyDelete