Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Love Letters

Last night’s evening news ended with a story on some love letters written by former President Bush. Letters saved over the years by Barbara, his daughters, and friends. Beautiful writings expounding on his love and care for them all. Letters saved and cherished over the years. And listening to them read excerpts – you just had to sigh…

Who writes like that anymore? In this day and age of instant messaging, most written expressions of love aren’t even a sentence long. Just a little quip… sent back and forth, and then gone forever. Deleted. Whether its email or texts – one brief line or two used to express the feeling of a deep love. Really? Oh, what a beautiful lost art we have let slide silently away. It’s been a long, long time since the days of long, wordy, love letters from a sailor or soldier stationed far away. A slice of romance – literally gone…

I have a couple things that my mom wrote out. It really takes me back – fills my heart when I look at her handwriting… she’s been gone several years now, and sadly I have forgotten the sound of her voice. But seeing her handwriting brings back a warm, fuzzy feeling of her beautiful mom-love. I can re-remember her.

I also have a bag full of handwritten notes from dear friends. Notes of encouragement and affirmation. Also handwritten. Personally for me notes. Notes of cheer and well-wishes. Notes of love and caring. I enjoy bringing that bag out on occasion and wrapping myself up in all that love. I’ll admit. I’ve had several really nice notes via email and texts as well. But I don’t print them up and add them to the bag… I can’t help but wonder / worry about this next generation – will they grow up without these tangible writings of love affirming their value – reminding them how much they were loved and cherished by someone else?

I know that God’s Story was originally passed on by word of mouth from generation to generation.  People spent a lot of time together telling and re-telling the old, old stories. (Did God somehow know we wouldn’t spend as much time together anymore?) And then God made sure it all got written down. Many letters written since the beginning formation of the church. And the Bible as we know it survived thousands of years. The Bible. God’s Words to us. God’s love letter.

Is there someone you know who would benefit from a written expression of the depth and wholeness of your love for them?

  • I am so thankful God brought you into my life
  • My days are brighter with you in them. I can’t imagine life without you!
  • I love you like crazy! I’ve never been happier!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment