Friday, April 19, 2013

Power of the mind

I finally started getting back into the routine of visiting the local gym every morning. After numerous starts and stops (I’m blaming the long-lasting gray winter days) – I’m getting back making healthy choices. (Okay… getting on the scale the other day was real motivation as well!)

Yesterday (day three), I only lasted 30 minutes. Good grief! It wasn’t that long ago when I was doing an hour on the elliptical. It seemed like forever and only 20 minutes had passed. My left knee was hurting so I had to slow down. My stomach started to ache. I was getting bored.

But after a healthy breakfast, I went out again this morning. (Half the battle is just getting to the gym, don’t ya know?) So, back on the elliptical machine I got, and the time passed. I watched the three TV’s posted up front, each on a different network carrying the Boston area events as they unfolded. Well, let me tell you – this distraction kept me on that workout path – for easily an hour. Wow. The power of the mind! The power of distraction! We need to tap into that power – of what we are thinking about. (P.S. I feel physically good after that workout! I’m back on track)

We need to realize that our negative thoughts, thoughts, can drag us down. And thinking about other things, can have a power all their own.  Not that I support focusing on bad news – but if we can give more thought to anything else than what we are struggling with, we can get through some rough patches in our life journey. So, whether it’s using a TV program or whether it’s daydreaming about something you’d love to do or see – tap into the power in your mind!

  • Dream some happy dreams – in detail!
  • Believe that you can do it!
  • Celebrate every little victory. You are awesome!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment