Monday, January 28, 2013

ow... ow... OW!!


Before you start kindergarten, you have to have immunizations; i.e. SHOTS! It makes perfect sense to us because we want all our children safe from suffering some horrible disease.

But for the small four-year-old, all they really know is that their beloved parent is holding them down so that some stranger can physically hurt them with a most painful needle. Mom? Dad? Eyes filled with tears and sometimes screams. Horror. Anger. Disbelief. How could this be happening? And why is my usually caring, protecting parent allowing this?

A child getting immunization shots will not be comforted by a lengthy explanation of its future benefits. Full understanding of a suffering will not bring comfort. Loving arms wrapped around you bring comfort. A gentle rocking back and forth. A hand brushing hair away from your face. A kiss on the forehead. Comfort.

Do you feel like you’re being held down in place and like your loving Father is the One holding you down to make you go through the pain? Are you suffering through a change in diet because the doctor says you have diabetes? Are you unable to drive your car anymore? Are you in the midst of incredible sadness? Or unending stress? Eyes filled with tears and sometimes screams. Horror. Anger. Disbelief. How could this be happening? And why is my usually caring, protecting Parent allowing this? Do you look up to heaven and say, “Father God, I don’t understand?

It is hard to accept that there is a good reason for suffering if I personally can’t think of one…

Yet, God, my maker, knows better about my life than I do.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” – Is. 55:8-9

Like my mom with me in the doctor’s office those many years ago, God’s thoughts and ways are greater than mine. He can see farther than I can.

Knowing the character of God can bring comfort in these trying / crying times.

He is ever-present.

He is all-knowing.

He is faithful.

He is all-wise.

He knows what He’s doing.

He can be trusted.

He will see you through.

He will capture each tear in a bottle.

Nothing is beyond His reach, His capacity, His authority.

 
Trusting in these thoughts can calm you: feel like a warm hug, a gentle rocking. A kiss on the forehead.

So, like the familiar phrase found on one of those Pass-It-On cards:

Don’t tell God how big your problems are,
Tell your problems how big your God is!

 

  • God is forever faithful. He will see you through.
  • Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding…
  • May the Lord be your comfort today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment