Friday, January 4, 2013

Dressing the part

 Never in all my life, would I have ever thought that I would someday participate in being in a skit or drama. I have always been way too shy! But life has its surprises and twists and turns… and a day came when I did start playing a role in a small five-minute skit for a Sunday morning message. And then another. And yes, then playing larger roles – much to my own surprise! From bag lady to Mary Magdalene – I have dressed up and played a role.

I have to admit, aside from the part of worrying if I can memorize all the lines, there is a fun, playful side to me that really enjoys dressing up and pretending to be somebody else… I put the costume on, and think about the words I’m going to be saying, and how that character might feel… and I am somehow braver than the shy Julie - when I was wearing Julie clothes.

I’ve read that is also a good way to change out of a bad habit – like for dieting – you get it in your head how a healthy, slimmer person acts and thinks – and you choose to behave like that. Act like a healthy person.  Healthy, “good weight” people don’t grab a king size candy bar at the checkout every time they go to the store. You put on that persona, and choose not to do it either.

And I’m just wondering if that can work in other areas of life. I am thinking specifically about the bible verse in Romans 13:12…. Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature…

Can I mentally “put on” / clothe myself with the good character of Jesus, and start acting that way? … no longer clothed in my Julie clothes, so to speak, to behave differently – knowing what Jesus calls us to do. (love my neighbor as myself)

I’m going to get “dressed UP” today. I’m going to try to think about the words Jesus might use and what He might feel… I’m going to try to hang up my Julie clothes.
 

  • You can do all things through Christ Who gives you strength. (Phil. 4:13)
  • You are strong for all things in the One Who constantly infuses strength in you.
  • Be positive, not about your circumstances, but about the One Who could ultimately bring meaning to them.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Very thought provoking! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the reminder/ challenge!

    ReplyDelete