Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Being transformed

If you’ve read my bio, you see that I am a knitter of mittens. I taught myself how to knit and have enjoyed several seasons of just knitting mittens – of every color. But since I’ve moved (and quit full-time work), I joined a knitting group – who encouraged me to try something else… so I started a sweater. I actually had two sweater projects going at the same time!

Well, the other night, with my knitting group, I discovered a huge mistake in one of the sweaters. Yep. Huge. As in. “I really need to pull the whole thing apart and start over” (I had 8-10 inches of a back done). So, let’s just say I learned a very important lesson about checking your gauge before you start a project…

But what I really want to address is this: several years ago, if this had happened – I would have been so embarrassed by the mistake. I would not have pulled it all apart in order to start over. I would have thrown the whole thing away and vowed to never, ever try knitting anything ever again! I was shy. Insecure. Self-conscious. Easily embarrassed. And I would have quit the knitting group.

But I am still growing up. I am still being transformed by God. I am still learning, maturing. I have time to start the project over. It’s a summer weight yarn. I have time. And I have learned from my mistake. It’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them. And I thank God I’m not the person I used to be. This is one example of many mistakes I have made over the years – where I have grown – and learned – and continued forward in living life.

As this new year begins, can you say the same? Are you being transformed? Are you a better person than you were a year ago, five years ago, ten?
 
(For you, M.B.!)

  • We are all a work in progress. Celebrate your achievements!
  • I am proud of you and your accomplishments!
  • I love and support you – every step of the way.

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I've had a couple people mention they were unable to post a comment. So, I will type this up and select a profile I guess is the next step... okay, from the dropdown list, I see google so I'll click on that...then I'll click publish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay, that publish button took me to the sign in screen for my google account. So I signed in and then it brought me back to this and said I got published.

      Delete