Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Putting it down


The cooler weather brings out the “knitting bug” in me. In the past, I have entertained myself by working on mittens – of every size and color! I had found a pattern that was easy enough… but this year I decided to stretch myself and try a whole sweater. After scouring the stores to find just the right yarn, I was ready… and excited!... to dive in and get started.

 

Knitting can be both relaxing and exhilarating. The more you get done, the cooler it is! Which makes it really hard to put your project down.Such was the case the other day. I was happily knitting along, rocking in my chair and humming… when a big clump of yarn bumped my hand. I tried pushing it father down the line, but it quickly came up against my hand again. I tried pulling more yarn out of the clump. Only a few inches were gained. Grrr! And the clump seemed to be getting both bigger and tighter. A mess! Things were going along just fine and now this horrible knot is the only thing I can see. I finally set both my needles down, and with my other hand pulled the string of yarn from the opposite end. With some slow and easy pulling and a gentle shake or two from this other hand, the knotty mess loosened and broke apart so I could continue on my way.

 

Ever have days like that? Frustrating problems at home or work? Struggling on your own only seemed to make things worse. Then a friend comes along and opens your eyes to a different angle … and viola! What a friend! The situation had been diffused… crisis diverted. And you’re moving again.

 

Now, can you be that kind of helpful friend? And how? Sometimes, people just need to be reminded to put their work down… remind them to stop or slow down or take a deep breath or walk away and come back later. A few soothing words can go a long way. They may need a diversion. A respite from the trial. An intermission for hope.

 

  • Sit and close your eyes for five minutes – its going to be okay. I am praying for you.
  • Step outside and breathe in some fresh air – and remember I am praying for you.
  • God is still your Help in times of trouble – and I am here for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment