Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Who do you see?


I remember writing notes to my brothers who were in the service. Viet Nam. I was pretty young then. Later, I regularly wrote notes to mom, family and friends while I was in the Navy and stationed far from home. And in recent years, my notewriting has expanded to shut-ins, friends unemployed, those preparing for surgery, others suffering through the treatments of cancer. The list goes on. You know them too. People who are being drained of all the fight left in them. They need a moment of respite. Like a tiny candle in a big, black darkness, a little note from a familiar someone can brighten their day – their journey.

 

It matters. It makes a difference. With very little effort, you can change the tone of someone’s day. Stop and listen to those around you. Pay attention. Every kind and every size of struggle could use some support and understanding. Is there someone facing a big decision? Someone sick and hurting? Facing upcoming surgery?  Is there someone trying to stick to a diet? A caregiver being pulled in several directions? A single parent? A loss of a relationship? I have sent cards out in all these cases and I can personally assure you the effort has not been wasted. And I myself have felt the better for doing it. It’s not about fixing… it’s about “I see you and I hear you. You are not alone.”

 

Open your eyes and ears today. Who do you see? And what will you do?

 

  • Taking some time to be still before the Lord… and am praying for you
  • I am so sorry this has happened to you… you are in my heart and on my mind
  • Someone over here in (name your city) - or on (name your street) is thinking about you and caring about you…

No comments:

Post a Comment