Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Power of Five



And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, - Hebrews 10:24

I like ordinary days. Days where there are things planned to do, but not too many things. Nothing stressful in view. Time for want-tos. I had a day like that today. Didn’t really expect anything. But God is full of surprises.

I received a lovely little note from a friend today. A real snail mail note. It contained five sentences. Yes, five. Full of love and encouragement and it touched my heart in such a deep way. A little note? Five sentences? Yes. It lifted my ho-hum spirit into a whole new, exciting, glad-to-be-alive kind of feeling. I moved from content to happy. I read it over a couple of times and it brought warm, fuzzy feelings about this friend to mind. And I wanted to reach out and touch her with love right back!

Don’t underestimate the power of your words. Even a few words. Who doesn’t need a little encouragement and love – ever! Any day is a good day to pen a line to someone in your sphere of influence. I would love to suggest to you all to keep a pack of notecards handy. There is a serious power at work there. Power to uplift. She turned my day from ordinary to extraordinary with a minute or two of thoughtful writing.

I love this friend. I know when her husband died, a piece of her died with him. But I am so grateful to God that there remains a part of her still loving and living in my life. Can you think of five sentences of kindness? Can you be that friend to someone today? (Yes, you can!) Living as a Christian in this world is hard.  Let us spur one another on …

No comments:

Post a Comment