Friday, August 8, 2014

Check It Out




If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14

I recently had a mammogram. I know, ugh, right? Nobody likes getting that done. No good solid reason for not getting it done. Just not a happy, comfortable thing. And we all like our happy, comfortable things so much more that we tend to avoid the uncomfortable as much as possible!

Then the doctor’s office called. Said they needed to have an ultrasound done. My first thought: They found something and it’s been in there over a year. Why did I skip last year? Stupid, ugly fear filled me. It could be something, or maybe not. But my greatest concern at the time was – stupid, foolish me – why didn’t I get it checked every year? (p.s. follow-up: it was just a cyst and they will keep on eye on it with an ultrasound every six months)

Which got me to thinking about other areas of my life. Were there other things I was having a blind eye to? Some things should be checked annually. Other things monthly. Like keeping an eye on my finances. Can you imagine the mess I’d be in if I didn’t check that but once a year? Still others weekly and daily. Like my spiritual walk with the Lord.

We all know people who go to church twice a year – Christmas and Easter. Some people think nothing of skipping church week after week and making an occasional appearance. While others read their bible every day, pray every day, praise God every day. Now I’m not here in judgment of people’s personal faith walk and church attendance. I’m just wondering about how long we let things go unchecked and what are the possible consequences of that. Sinful habits, behaviors, attitudes, poor choices – growing, multiplying, without a closer look. Is there a warning bell going off in your life? Something isn’t quite right and it needs to be re-examined. Is it too late? Is it out of control? How long has it been in there? Has it been caught in time? Is there any hope?

Thanks be to God, there is always hope with Him. You are always welcome into His presence. It’s never too late, you’re never too far out of control for Him, however long you’ve had a problem, He is able. With God, there is always hope. Check in with Him now and see what I mean.

P.S. AND GET YOUR ANNUAL MAMMOGRAM!




No comments:

Post a Comment