Thursday, August 14, 2014

Let's Begin, Class!



“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. – John 13:13

There are several references in the new testament calling Jesus “Rabbi”, which means Teacher. It wasn’t just the disciples calling him that. Many people called Him “Teacher”. And teach he did! Oh, the many lessons we “overhear” by reading the bible day by day.  Many times Jesus took his disciples off  somewhere and taught them things about life and love and God. Seems like He was always talking, explaining, answering questions and getting them to think. I can see how they would come to call Him Teacher.

How about you? How about now? Do you see Him as “Teacher”. More importantly, do you see yourself as “student”? Are you learning and growing from Him? Are you asking questions of Him?  Are you thinking?

I call Him my Savior. I call Him my Lord. Sustainer. Provider. Comforter. The list goes on and on about what He is to me. But Teacher?  Teachers usually give you homework – things hard to do that require perseverance. Sometimes teacher discipline if you don’t get it done on time. Teachers can make you face challenges and push you farther than you thought possible. They do what is necessary to help you learn new things and grow. Am I a student? Am I learning? Am I being pushed to learn and grow in various circumstance of my life – and calling the stress and strain of it - God’s anger, God’s punishment or God’s abandonment? When He’s just fulfilling His role as Teacher …

The next time you’re facing dire straits, ask yourself (ask God), “What am I to learn from this experience?” There may be opportunity here for you to draw closer and know more about our God. Are you ready to learn? Then let's begin, class!


No comments:

Post a Comment