Saturday, August 16, 2014

Multi-tasking

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. – 1 Corinthians 10:31


Multi-tasking. I’m through with it. I no longer see the benefit. All I know is that while I’m doing one thing, I am distracted by thoughts of what else needs to be done. My mind drifts and instead being fully present and paying attention to what I am doing, I find myself doing a half-hearted job because of what I could be doing next. You don’t really do two things at once. There’s just short, two second spurts of focus from one to another and back again. Whether it’s work to be done around the house or outside or notes to write or calls to make, I find my mind wandering to other things while I’m doing them. Mopping the floors this morning. Is it really such a chore? Or do I make it so?  I like the smell of clean. I like how it looks and feels. And I like doing a good job. But with other thoughts vying for my attention, I tend to miss corners or walk over what I just did. Plus my anxiety increases as I think about all the jobs on my to-do list. You get the picture. One thing at a time is going to be my new motto. I’m going to do the best I can with what I’ve got at the moment and seek pleasure from it. Look for the blessing in it. And be grateful. No more racing and rushing around in my mind – tiring myself out with just weary thinking. Whether it’s cooking dinner with relish or drinking iced tea and working on a jigsaw puzzle...  don’t miss the blessings. There is a time for everything under heaven. There is time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment