Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Say No to Separation

Wedding Day 2009



For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39

The devotion I was reading this morning talked about oneness with Christ. I really started wondering about that. What is oneness, really? Oneness with Christ. At first, I was thinking it was about being aware of His presence every moment. But there are plenty of times I can’t sense His promised presence, I just have to believe it. Sharing all of life with Him?  I’m not sure I’m very good at that either. There are times in my humanness when I just react and don’t slow down long enough to consider His ways. What about agreeing on everything? I’m supposed to be one with my husband now that we are married. But we certainly don’t agree on everything! Yet we stay together, and we keep communicating. We still share laughter and tears. And it is safe to do so with him. We love and we trust and we feel safe with each other. It’s a sense beyond being physically present all the time. So I guess in that way, we are one. A deep, continual feeling, as in, “Please, Lord, don’t ever separate us.”

Maybe being one with Christ is just about seeking Him on a daily, regular basis no matter what is going on. Feeling safe to share anything. Trusting and believing in His character. Goodness. Kindness. Faithfulness. Feeling safe enough to be open and honest. In good times or bad times and regular ol’ average times. And your desire to have Him in your life and let nothing separate you. Not people or circumstances. Nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment