Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Sock Story



 I’ve always been intimidated by the prospect of knitting socks. After all, sock yarn is much thinner than regular yarn, the needles are much smaller too and they are double-pointed (stitches are capable of sliding off both ends!), and working with four needles at one time – each one sticking out in a different direction looked so cumbersome. So I steered clear even though I longed to make some pretty knitted socks. But this winter, I knew I would have time on my hands, so I accepted the challenge!

And challenge it was! Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. Wrong size needles, not the right amount of stitches, dropped stitches, lost my place in the pattern, too loose, too tight – you name it. I started over… and over… and over again. The yarn actually got thinner because I was wearing it out with my starting over. I said to myself, “Give up. You’re good at other things.” Naturally, the first or second (even third) time you start over, it is disappointing. But the 10th time? And more? But what I discovered is priceless:

No matter how many mistakes I made, God brought it to completion.
Despite the numerous mistakes, I made progress.

Beginning a sock became much easier. What challenged me the first few times – I could now breeze right through. Then working on the pattern changes for the heel, at first so confusing to read, became so clear. The toe of the sock I actually only did twice.

The sock pictured is start number twelve. I kid you not. But I am so proud and can’t wait to begin the other one so I can wear the set.

Growing weary of all the mistakes you’ve made (or continue to make?). Learn from me. Just try again. Some of it will become easier. And you keep at it, and more and more will become smoother and make more sense. God brings things to completion. (Phil. 1:6)


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:09 PM EST

    So, will we see socks for sale anytime soon?
    I could use a pair.
    Rich Yeckley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me 5 months to do this one sock! But I think I understand it well enough now to proceed more smoothly and more quickly... thanks for sharing your idea on little kid socks. Peaked my interest!

      Delete