Thursday, February 13, 2014

Darkness and Light



Then the Lord said to Moses, “Stretch out your hand toward the sky so that darkness spreads over Egypt—darkness that can be felt.”  So Moses stretched out his hand toward the sky, and total darkness covered all Egypt for three days.  No one could see anyone else or move about for three days. Yet all the Israelites had light in the places where they lived. – Exodus 10:21-23

There have been times when I’ve tried to commit to reading “X” number of chapters in the Bible every day. I understand the importance of reading things in context and not just going to favorite passages all the time. But then I come across a verse that stops me in my tracks. If I’m so focused on getting my “assignment” done, I miss out on what I truly seek: “God, speak to me.”

Such was the case with today’s reading. Here I find a world of people caught in deepest darkness and unable to control or escape it. If you watch the evening news, it’s not hard to imagine days of doom and gloom and fear. Yet God’s children, the Israelites, had light in the places where they lived. Now just think about that a minute. God’s children (like you and me) had light (hope, good news, freedom from deep dark fear) in whatever place (circumstances) they lived. Life without the knowledge of Christ’s presence must surely be dark and dank. But knowledge in your heart of His constant power, love, presence… well, now… doesn’t that ease your troubled mind? Thanks be to God for His mercy and grace to His children (you and me).

No comments:

Post a Comment