Thursday, February 20, 2014

Building Memories with God



You ever pray for something, like strength to beat a temptation or to overcome a bad habit or to get through a long-term challenge…? And it seems like God has answered - because for awhile, you are strong enough. But here comes a brand new day (or maybe it didn’t even last that long) and your strength and focus is waning. What? Do I have to pray for the same thing again?

I am reminded of a joke: this man and woman went to a marriage counselor and the woman remarked, “My husband never tells me he loves me!” When the counselor questioned him about it, he responded, “I told her I loved her the day we got married. If anything changes, I’ll let her know.”

Now I know none of us would appreciate that kind of relationship! We all like to have others be continually nurturing, sharing good feelings and kind words of love and appreciation. Right?

“Honey, will you help me with this?” “Mom, can you help me with that?” Yes, it gives us purpose and a warm fuzzy when somebody wants us. I was just thinking about a family that gathers together annually to bake Christmas cookies. Young and old, together they pitch in. Together they work through the recipe and the decorating (and the eating!). There’s something about coming together that is more warm and wonderful than being shown how to do something one time… and then you are on your own! No fun! No connection! No laughing and sharing and creating memories to share later on when you need a fond memory to carry you through; give you hope for tomorrow. And let’s not put relationships on hold until Christmas! Goodness, no! Let’s come together often – in love, support, in living, journeying alongside. Hand in hand, right?

And God is just asking for the same. Walk with Him as well. Talk with Him as well. Build memories with Him. To carry you through; giving hope for tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment