Wednesday, February 26, 2014

More Power



I often read my bible in the mornings. The NIV version is what I have. But sometimes a phrase will catch my eye and I want to see how it is written in other versions. We are fortunate that we can just jump onto the computer and with a stroke of a key or two, many various translations pop up on the screen. So this morning, I was reading about John preparing the way in Luke 3. Verse 16:

(NIV) …. But someone more powerful than I will come…
(LB) … someone is coming soon who has far higher authority than mine…
(AMP)… He Who is mightier than I is coming…
(GNB)… someone who is much greater than I…
(NLT)… someone who is greater, so much greater…

You get the idea? You read that same phrase, that same concept over and over and it starts to settle down in your mind. It starts to take root. What wonderful good news these few little words bring! And I am reminded of a song that proclaims: Hallelujah! He is coming! Hallelujah! He is here!

Further along in today’s reading, I find Jesus healing many. Look up Luke 4:36 and find even more hope:

With authority and power He gives orders to evil spirits and they come out!

The Message says it like this: Someone whose words make things happen. Someone who orders demonic spirits to get out and they go!

You got demons? You got bad habits, bad attitudes, bad defaults that you just can’t shake? Feeling chained, bound, unable to change? Read the words of Luke 3:16 and 4:36 again proclaiming the power of Jesus. And He’s the same yesterday, today and forevermore.



No comments:

Post a Comment