Saturday, January 4, 2014

God, I hate this...



The presents are all unwrapped by now. Did you get some wonderful things? Excited and feeling so grateful! And how about the not so wonderful gifts? Did you quickly plaster on a smile and mumble something about how unique or interesting is was?

Often times I wake up in the morning and I start my prayer with, “Thank You, God, for everything.” I guess I’m thinking mostly of the pleasant, comfortable things that happened the day before. It’s hard to thank for a crummy day; hard to slow down and think there is some good outcome, blessing, or profit to bad times in life. Oh, yes! Very joyful in response to a nice gift. More forced when felt in a corner to give thanks if you do it at all. Yesterday was an amazing day.  I was able to help in some areas; I was able to hug and converse and contribute. I had time to be at peace; time to appreciate God. But what about when days aren’t so noteworthy or when one thing after another just goes wrong? When you’re glad to go to bed and put an end to this stupid day… Do we stop and think of any reasons or purpose? Or do we point fingers and blame others for ruining our day? Did we ask God if there was something He wanted us to learn from the experience? Is there something of value on the other side of the experience that He wanted to shed some light on? Do bad days (feelings) have value (divine) beyond what our senses can first perceive? More trusting, believing, faith in God time. Can we thank and praise Him in good and bad days because we acknowledge Him as Almighty, most loving, caring God? Trusting Him for a future good is one thing. But thanking Him for the rough road getting there? And I don’t mean looking for some silver lining. I’m talking. “God, I hate this but I’m sticking with You. I’m sticking with You. There’s no better, safer place to be than with You, Lord. Together we will get through it.”

Walk through the dark times with Jesus? Or seek your own light and wander aimlessly - alone?


No comments:

Post a Comment