Saturday, November 24, 2012

Intentional Focusing


Intentional focus. I’m talking about that time (yes, time) when we choose to shut out the world and all other distractions, turning ourselves to one thing – whether for a moment or a minute… or more. You might have recently done that very thing around the family dinner table before you began eating. Purposefully thinking about thankfulness, or a praise, or a plea – and nothing else. Prayer. Turning our thoughts toward God.

 When I had little ones in the house (I was a foster mom and an adoptive mom), I had children’s mealtime prayers written out on index cards. Every day at dinnertime, I would shuffle them up, fan them out, and say, “Pick a card! Any card at all!” And it wasn’t long before we all had them memorized. I wonder if any of them still remember: “Thank You, God, for daily bread. For apples and cherries red…” It was probably nice for them to have a reminder or a prompt from a card.


At another point in my life, those of you who knew me back when – when I was very shy and introverted – I was called upon at church to participate in healing prayer. That required being hooked up with a microphone, getting up in front of the whole church at the appointed time in the Sunday morning service, and leading the congregation in intercessory prayer as the requests came forward. Yeah, I know. Eek! No cue cards here! How I was ever brave enough to be in this spontaneous-oh-my prayer situation, only God knows. But, wow, what a wonderful thing happened to me. I relied on God more than ever. Not knowing what prayer request would come up front, there was no way to prepare. God had to show up in the here and now. And show up He always did. With just the right words. Many times “I” would reference a scripture verse I had recently read. It just seemed to pop right into my head.


(The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue,
to know the word that sustains the weary. – Is. 50:4)
 
I don’t think this verse from the Holy Bible was meant exclusively for Isaiah. Because I think they sometimes apply to me. And if they sometimes apply to me, might they not also sometimes apply to you?

 
(My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God;
on behalf of a man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend.
- Job 16:20

 

God has mercy and compassion on all His people; faithful to all generations. Unchanging. The same God that spoke and helped and healed and gave strength to those in the Bible, is the same living God we have today.


So, as I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts: verses from a recent scripture reading, or a line from a song, or from a daily devotional – one sentence or phrase that stands out – can be turned into a prayer for someone. And it can be written down in a notecard. Try this. Instead of saying “I am praying for you” – actually write out a two or three sentence prayer. For a more powerful effect, insert the person’s name into it. Prayers of thanks. Prayers for strength. Prayers for help.


Prayer is powerful and effective. Here are some sample verses I have used:

  •  Though you have made (_______) see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore (______’s) life again; from the depths of the earth You will again bring (______) up. You will increase (______’s) honor and comfort (______) once again. – Ps. 71:20-21
  • When the Lord saw (_______), His heart went out to (______) and He said, “Don’t cry.” – Luke 7:13
  • I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake (______). – is. 42:16

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment