Friday, January 24, 2020

Wha'cha been up to lately?

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
My first response is usually "nothing much". And what I probably mean is nothing profoundly exciting or interesting. Just regular day-after-day stuff that tend to fill my time. Cooking, cleaning, etc. Although when I feel the need to impress, to look like I've got some purpose and value in taking up space here on earth, I will lead with, "I'm still working on illustrating a children's book that I wrote". And that gets the desired, pleasing response.

I have to say I struggle with this concept of having to look, to be, interesting.

 I knit during the day. While I knit, people come to mind. Some I know have definite prayer concerns. Some I'm not sure why they came to mind, or what they need. But it is definitely a purposeful time laid on me by the One Who knows.

I read during the day. Yes, sometimes it is the Bible. And I do try to connect with God over some verse or phrase. Other times I am reading for enjoyment. And it helps me connect with who I am, what I like, what makes me laugh or cry. Fictional books also cause me to think of others. And reminds me of good times past.

I walk around during the day. Sometimes with music playing. Lifts my spirit. Makes me sing and dance. Sometimes I just walk in silence. And the most profound thoughts come to me in that silence. In the stillness, God-thoughts come. Thoughts about growing in faith. Thoughts about helping others. Or just how much He loves me. The Lord definitely feels present and connecting with me when all external distractions are eliminated.

Wha'cha been up to lately?
I knit. I read. I walk.

What have I been doing lately?
I pray. I connect with God. I gain insight into how to help others.

Appearances can be deceiving. While it may sound like a mundane, lazy life - in truth I have made myself available and open to the whisper of a Holy God. Kudos to all of you out there doing the Lord's work with your hands and feet. But know that I've got your back. In these silent, behind the scenes behaviors of mine, I lend support and encouragement to those who actively work tirelessly in their calling. 


Ever feel that way? Like you're not doing enough for God? Maybe you're just unaware of all that's going on inside you. Like me. God doesn't waste anything, or any of our time spent here on earth. All our up time and down time - being used by God. Listen to Him and not the voice in your own head.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:10)

Here am I, Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment