Friday, January 31, 2020

I struggle with this verse

© 2012 Julie Crane All rights reserved
I hate to admit it. But this verse comes and visits me more often than I can sometimes stand. One of those in-your-face verses. Makes you think as well as be challenged to examine your motives, attitude, and heart. I also hate to admit that I often quote this verse when someone is telling me their ministry isn't growing, or they would rather be in a different ministry. A bigger one. A more visible results one. Or "I'm doing the same things as her and I'm not getting blessed like her."

But here's the truth. From Jesus.

When Peter saw Him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (John 21:21-22)

What's it to ya?
You must follow Me.

And not compare what you've been called to do, or where you've been called to minister. You've been called to do My bidding. 

I admit I've fallen victim to some of these lies. The comparison lie. The "why aren't You blessing me equally?" lie. And Jesus is having none of it. You obey Me. You follow Me. Never mind what everybody else is doing. What everybody else is getting. Ouch.

Jesus has a calling and a purpose designed exclusively for you - and one for me. You can't do someone else's. And no one can do yours. We gotta all work together - each doing their part.  There is no "ME" in Jesus - only an "US". And in whatever way He calls us, we are to reflect this Jesus to the world. Whether your calling is big or small, God has a purpose for having you, yes, you - there. This time. This place. And He promises to equip everybody.

You've heard it said: If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, start watering your own.

In other words, there is plenty on your own plate as you listen to and obey God daily. Keep your mind and energies steadfast on that.

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You. (Isaiah 26:3)




No comments:

Post a Comment