Friday, January 13, 2017

Wanted: a cup half full

© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
With Your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall. (Psalm 18:29)

STRESSED? I was reading a magazine article (a reputable well-known magazine) that said our mind doesn’t know the difference between truths and lies. Seems like I ran across that same concept in a book about negative self-talk. It caught my eye and I sat and pondered. I can literally tell myself I’m a big, fat, helpless loser who can’t figure anything out or I can tell myself I’m very capable of solving complicated matters when they come up. Either way, my mind is going to store the information I feed it and respond to life accordingly.

What do you think about that?
Do you think your life would really change any if you told yourself:
o   I can figure hard things out
o   I can make improvements
o   I can face challenges successfully
o   I can learn new things
o   I believe I can do anything I truly desire
o   I can practice, try, learn, get better, accomplish, achieve, complete
o   I am smart enough to figure this out
o   I do know how to manage my money, my time, my career
o   I am beautiful inside and out
o   I am generous and kind

You get the picture. I’ve been trying this on myself for a couple weeks now. Telling myself these things, even when I don’t believe them myself – does my mind believe?

The result seems to be LESS ANXIETY. I tell myself every morning that I know how to handle a crisis when it arises. I can do difficult things. I know how to work things out. My anxieties seemed to stem from feeling helpless, not knowing the solution, not believing I had the power to work a solution out. But now my mind seems to think and respond differently. My new first thought is that – whatever it is – it is manageable and there is a solution and it will come to me.

With Your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall. (Psalm 18:29)

Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” (Mark 10:27)





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:28 AM EST

    I wonder if this would work with groups of people. What if we stopped grumbling and spoke good, empowering things ...

    ReplyDelete