Monday, January 9, 2017

C'mon, c'mon - let's get together


© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. (Acts 4:32) 
I sure love it when my knitting group gets together. We all have a passion for knitting, but we don’t all do the same pattern. Talking, laughing, sharing, helping, encouraging, teaching … we rejoice in what the others are working on, lend a hand when need be, and just be good support for each other as we spend this time together united in heart and mind – for knitting! We don’t all like the same colors or patterns. But it sure is fun to see what the others are steadily working on!
Yes, I can knit alone and I enjoy that too. I can find a variety of patterns online; tips and helps too. I can do pretty good on my own. But it’s not the same as when a whole group of us gather, all of us interested in pursuing different levels of the same thing.
I’m thinking the same can be said of church-going, church attendance, church participation. You can read the bible on your own, pray on your own, sing Christian songs along with the radio, and find online bible studies to follow. And it’s certainly good to do so. But it’s not the same, is it?
When I’m excited, enthusiastic about something, how wonderful when friends join in – just as excited and happy. Full of celebration too!
So, gimme Sunday morning church with its lighting of the candles, tolling of the bells, God's Holy Word read aloud, and a roomful of people singing His praises. And oh my, Holy Communion all together – for EVERYONE who believes. Gimme those people who can rub me the wrong way – that also encourage me when I fail. Gimme those people who are restless for the sermon to end - but also share joys and fears during the coffee hour.  Those who grumble and also have great compassion for others going through a similar thing. What do you love about worship service in church?
As I so love the time with my knitting group, may it also be said of my time in church.
Let's come together.
Let’s build the church up.
What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. (1 Corinthians 14:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment