Friday, December 30, 2016

Is that You, God?


© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.
We, though, are going to love—love and be loved. First we were loved, now we love. He loved us first. (1 John 4:19 MSG)



All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and He was found by them. So the Lord gave them rest on every side.  (2 Chronicles 15:15 NIV)






My husband and I met through a spiritual retreat weekend. One spring day I was invited over by him and his young son to dinner and a board game. A week or two later, another similar invite. (two dates)



It was at this point that I sat down and literally prayed for hours. After only two dates, I prayed about any future with them. "Lord, we’ve all been hurt before by failed marriages. None of us want to go down that road again. So please stop this now before it grows into something. Or, if it is Your will to have us all begin a forever journey together – please, Lord, let me know now. Before we become emotionally attached and find out we’ve stepped out of Your will for us."



All Saturday afternoon I thought about this. Prayed about this. Wanting … and not wanting. Seeking the Lord. Please, let me know how to proceed.



And the date December 30 popped into my head. I questioned it at first. December 30? Whaa …? Marriage, Lord? Are You trying to tell me? Are You responding to my plea? I looked on the calendar and December 30 that year was on a Wednesday. Who gets married on a Wednesday? So, like Mary, I treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. (Luke 2:19)



It wasn’t long before the big questions was asked. I don’t know if my husband was surprised that I already had a date picked out or not. But based on what I sensed was a direct word from God, we married … on a Wednesday … on December 30. I guess because He loved us first, and filled us with a love that will have no end.


1 comment: