Friday, December 16, 2016

Where's MY mercy?



© 2016 Julie Crane All rights reserved.

Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” (Matthew 14:16)





I was recently doing a bible study on the Psalms and the opening verse read, “How long, O Lord, how long …?” Boy, haven’t we all been there! But upon pondering this verse, I felt like I heard God saying, “How long, dear Julie, how long … before you act in faith?” Ouch.



A friend recently told me the story of a family member in deep need and this friend had just saved up enough money to buy something more frivolous than what they needed. In the midst of his prayer for God to help them out, he immediately knew he had the funds to help – in Jesus name.



And it reminds me of the many times I hear people “cry out” to God to feed the hungry. Or provide something for the poor. And He is probably thinking, “You have plenty. You give them something.”



I was originally going to call this post “Hocus Pocus” because sometimes we want to just pray and ask for some miracle from God. “God, YOU do something.” It would be so much easier for Him - with just a word - it would be taken care of and I wouldn’t have to be bothered. I did my part. I prayed. How often, I wonder, are we really supposed to be the hands and feet of Jesus? And instead think I don’t want to be bothered or my little bit won’t make a difference. How often are the skeptics and the unbelievers of this world looking for some tangible sign of God and come up empty? Because HE didn’t perform some miracle? Or it was right there and we didn’t deliver it?



God is all about relationship. He wants us to pray to Him. Creates a thousand reasons for us to pray to Him. So there will be some growing connection between God and us. That's where He teaches us about love, mercy and service. It's what He wants for all  brothers and sisters of this world. Connection. Love. So help. Give a little. Let’s pool our resources and make a difference. We can be the instrument of love and mercy in the Father’s hands. We can shed light on the Spirit of God. We can.



Lord, have mercy.

Christ, have mercy.


Hey you … bring some of His mercy to those in need.



Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. (Luke 6:36)

No comments:

Post a Comment