Friday, July 10, 2015

Class in now in session

God’s servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey. You never know how or when God might sober them up with a change of heart ... (2 Timothy 2:25 The Message)

God bless me - for I work at a childcare facility - with two-year olds! Precious when being rocked to sleep and a joy when they are playing well together. Highlights include practicing sign language and they remember from the day before; mimicking words as I read a book for the umpteenth time; screams of delight when I blow bubbles; and running through the grass with their hand in mine. Oh, if only my work day could be filled with just these kinds of moments!

But there is fighting over a toy - followed by crying. Hitting and shoving (and more crying). Running where there should be walking; climbing up on shelves and trying to open the gate to get beyond the designated play area. All disobedience (sins) of a two-year old. And my job is to keep them safe. To rescue them a thousand times from the potential dangers of their poor choices. And kindly offer other options (redirect). And some days it does feel like a thousand times! But I must not get sick of it and give up. I can't demand they learn something they aren't ready to learn. Gently, but firmly. "No, not safe." and "No, - owie!" as I scoop them up and away is my mantra.

"Go play!" only works on occasion. They do much better when I stop to interact with them. Spend time with them. The joys I listed earlier? - the books, the bubbles, the sign language - included me and we all shared in the joy.

I could just write them off as being naughty. (Don't we want to do that with some of the grown-ups in our life?) "Go, play (somewhere else and not by me)". Leaves us both more vulnerable to temptation. But together we can do and be so much more. Learning different things at a different pace perhaps - but learning and growing - being kind and gentle and accepting as you watch God work in the lives involved.

God is at work in them. Our little ones but also in the adults around us. God is still working. So be patient with where God has them now. Watch and pray as God continues His transforming work. In them and oh! In you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment