Tuesday, September 23, 2014

More Than I Can Handle



Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. - Psalm 139:7-12

 I make lists for myself. Some can be pretty detailed … and extensive. When I’m planning a gathering or an event, I think and imagine every possible scenario and outcome and how to best handle them all – you know, so I’m prepared. I call it being organized.

But I got to thinking about God’s Word written above, and I realized I was pouring all my humanness into what should be a God-gift of Himself. His warm welcome. His love and acceptance; His kind of hospitality. And His solutions to all that I would find as unexpected.  God doesn’t ever give us more than we can handle, but we sometimes take on more than what He gives. In all my extensive planning, I am giving totally of myself and leaving little room for Him to work; to give. We are called to join Him in the work; not takeover as if He were not alive and well and everpresent.

Dare we believe that God will show up and fill in the gaps? Will God show up every time? Time after time?

Can we approach tomorrow (the future) without every detail worked out in our minds?

Go ahead a make a list. Think things through. Forge ahead with what you’ve been called to do. But then leave room for the Holy Spirit to also do what He’s been called to do.

I commit myself to remembering I work alongside Him. Not for Him. Not in place of Him. We are a Body. United in Spirit. United in purpose.  He equips. He stands in the gap. He is ever before me and behind me. He’s got my back. 

For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. - Matthew 6:32-33


No comments:

Post a Comment