Thursday, September 4, 2014

Going the wrong way



Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. – Proverbs 3:5-6


I can’t begin to tell you how many times I get lost driving myself somewhere. It is to the point of being embarrassingly ridiculous. There have been times I’ve had to pull over because I was crying so hard – lost and scared. I’m late. People are waiting for me.

So after suffering through this dilemma numerous times, it was no surprise to me that I got lost going to a friend’s house yesterday. She was supposed to be only an hour away! I had the directions clearly written out on a piece of paper. But an accident on the highway sent me off on a different exit than the one I needed and off I surely was! A quick phone call to my friend and it sounded like a couple turns here and there and I’d be right back on track. I don’t know how it happens. It certainly seemed clear to me at first. But like the other times, I’m going down the road looking for a certain landmark and it never shows! So I make a couple turns that I think make sense.  But I was sadly mistaken. There I am. On the corner of Clueless and Hopeless.

I tried hard not to focus on the potential calamity. Instead I just kept saying, “Lord, I am trusting You. Lord, I am trusting You.” I’ll admit – there was a moment or two beyond just “oh, good grief!” when I really started wondering how long it would take me to find a way back to something familiar. But I kept thinking about the faithfulness of the Lord. And then quite suddenly I found myself on a corner of a main road and there was a mail truck nearby. I’ll just ask for some direction! Then I looked up at the road sign and it had the name of the street I was looking for all along! True story. I was just a few miles too far south of my destination.

Where are you headed? Do you have clear direction? Do you stop and ask for help along the way? Or do you think you know what to do on your own? Ever find your self on the corner of Clueless and Hopeless? Are you a little south of where you’re supposed to be? Do you panic or do you trust in God?

No comments:

Post a Comment