Wednesday, May 28, 2014

That the World May Know



Sometimes, I just feel better in my “prayer closet”. Some may call it “quiet time”. Some may just refer to it as praying. You know, being all alone, just me and God. I can read my bible a little; tell God anything. I am safe and loved and accepted. God-thoughts enter my mind and I am uplifted. My prayer closet is a nice little place. Some days, I would like to stay there.

Keeping God all to myself. Relishing that special time together. So much more comforting and comfortable than dealing with people. Besides, sometimes it’s just hard to explain what the experience is like – in human terms. Being with God can be amazing!

There are some passages in 1 Corin. 14 that refer to speaking in tongues but a lot of it can also be applied to speaking or not speaking - God’s truths.

So, when you pray in your private prayer language, don’t hoard the experience for yourself. Pray for the insight and ability to bring others into that intimacy. 1 Corin 14:13

What I read here is that we should ask for ways in which to reveal to others the awesomeness of time spent with God. Others should know about that “feel better” feeling I get from my special prayer time.

But if some unbelieving outsiders walk in on a service where people are speaking out God’s truth, the plain words will bring them up against the truth and probe their hearts. Before you know it, they’re going to be on their faces before God, recognizing that God is among you. – 1 Corin. 14:25

I have thought about this a lot as well. Especially in churches seeking growth. There are many things we do in a church service that has become old hat to the regulars, but to the newcomer, to the visitor… well, a helping hand close by to show which songbook to use, and which page the apostles creed is on, etc. – not to mention a friendly smile and a handshake, an invite to coffee hour and a little conversation with them there – would go a long way. Certainly a sign that Jesus is among you. Your kindness could be a catalyst to softening their hearts toward God.

But when you proclaim his truth in everyday speech, you’re letting others in on the truth so that they can grow and be strong and experience his presence with you. – 1 Corin. 14:3

Whether someone is a new Christian or has years under their belt, living out acts of love and kindness are all aspects of the Christian walk that bring people to a greater sense of believing His loving presence is here – with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment