Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Best Advisor



Sometimes I want to tell people what to do. It’s true. Those of you around me know it’s true. I mean, I’ve lived over 50 years, so I know a thing or two. I think I’m “in the know” and can advise you exactly how you should proceed with your life in any given circumstance.

But the real truth is – I’ve lived MY life for over 50 years. I’ve chosen and functioned based on my experiences and my character traits. Not yours. What might work for me will not work out for you at all. If you ask for my opinion, I can relate to you only what’s in my head and heart. Which may seem like the very best as far as my knowledge stretches. You, also, may want to advise me on how to live out my life. But only God knows what is truly best for you and for me. He alone has seen it all – past, present and future.

I have been taller than most – most of my life. I have wished to not be so tall. During my teen years, I prayed about it. But I am still tall, and will forever be… tall. And it’s something I have grown to accept. I think the same applies to various other traits: some people are wired to be very energetic, very productive without getting tired. Others would become exhausted physically and emotionally trying to keep up. For those more quiet and pace themselves, it would be wrong for them to judge the more active person; and it would be wrong for the more active to judge and call the quiet one lazy and nonproductive.  Maybe, like being tall, we are what we are.

 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. – Romans 12: 4-6

So I’m reminding us all, that we are all different parts of the one same Body. We all have different abilities but serve the one and same God. You are who you are, and what you are, for a very good reason. Serve the Lord and bring glory to God in the way you’ve been formed and gifted. And accept that others are doing the same in the way they’ve been formed and gifted. May it all be – to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment