Friday, May 16, 2014

Tasting and Seeing



Who tells the sun where and when to shine so brightly? Who orders the clouds where to stand and where to block the sun’s burning rays... where to let rain fall just so? Which farmers made it out to the fields even when they were fighting off some flu bug – so that produce would appear on our table today? And whose retirement plans did He direct to be put off another year so we could have experienced care and attention in some way this week?

Oh, the many details going on behind the scenes! I remember well a dinner I had at a spiritual retreat where all the guests had to eat in silence. At first, I imagined it would be unbearably uncomfortable. But while others were finishing up, in the silence, it dawned on me how God’s hands, GOD’S HANDS!... got the very food on my plate from farm to truck to store to retreat to me. I just sat there will an overwhelming sense that the Creator of heaven and earth (!) brought me food.

I pray to be awakened from my slumbering lack of awareness and be more fully present, more fully aware, more fully, abundantly joy-filled by the presence of God in my daily life. Lord, I want to relish all You send and be abundantly grateful. May I be more keenly aware of Your loving hands and heart. I pray for divine, transforming, renewal of my heart and mind. Nothing is too difficult for You. I am not forever set in my ways. There is hope. With You, there is always hope! Thank You for hope over the seemingly impossible, where You may have something uplifting right around the corner. I pray for eyes that see God; ears that hear God; to taste and to sense God’s goodness in every thing. What a humbling, awesome thing to realize His hand is present a zillion times a day.

Where can you go where God is not? What can you taste and see that God has not produced and delivered to you this day? What kind of knowledge do you think you have without God’s hand in it? What kind of love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control… all gifts - to you, and through others to you – by God’s Very Own Divine Holy Spirit?

Lord, I pray for an unending thankful, grateful, humbled-by-all-You-do heart. May I be ever conscious and overwhelmed by Your amazing outpouring of love – and be satisfied – as my response should be. This day, and all days, may I truly see You and know You as my ALL IN ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment