Tuesday, June 3, 2014

All your Heart, Soul, Mind and Strength

For whatever a man sows, that and   that only is what he will reap. – Galatians 6:7
If one part of our body hurts, we hurt all over.  – 1 Corinthians 12:26

Garbage in, garbage out. Whether we’re talking about what you feed your stomach, or what you feed your mind, I think we can all painfully agree that what goes in dictates what comes out. There’s no denying it: you plant a pumpkin seed, you’re going to get a pumpkin and not a rose bush!
The 1 Corinthians verse reminds us that we are connected in more ways than one. We are not only physical beings, but also mental, emotional, spiritual, relational beings. If we neglect one, the whole of us is somehow hurt or diminished or left not as strong. When we regularly nurture all aspects of our being, we are healthy, strong, happy and able. Let me give you an example.
When I eat junk food all day long, I physically become bloated and uncomfortable and cranky and sluggish. I don’t feel like being helpful and nice to people. I don’t want to do anything. Whatever I do do, seems to take so much energy. I can’t focus on prayer or scripture readings. The physical garbage affected my spiritual, emotional, and mental capacities.
On the other hand, when I eat a nutritious meal, and take a walk in the fresh air, and read a chapter in my bible, and have coffee with a friend (nurturing all aspects of my being); all these working together make me a better whole person. And when I’m a better whole person (when every part of my being is honored, cared for and respected), my whole body is happy and the living in love flows more naturally and without strain.

Does it sometimes feel too hard to love God and neighbor? Take a look at your whole being. What is getting nurtured and what needs a little more honor, respect, care? It won’t take as much as you think to bring yourself into balance. Be mindful of your whole being today. Take steps to tweak your daily pattern. Then love with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment